Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 17:07:47 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        jamie@inna.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie type environment

As Jamie Bowden wrote:

> I have had several requests for the environment I setup for my wife, so
> on ftp.inna.net:/pub/jamie/ is a file called newbie.tgz.  You will need
> to get that, put the zap perl script in /usr/local/bin, and compile and
> install runas.  All of these are in the .tgz file.

I think it would be really great to see something like this becoming
an official `port'.  This way, we don't need to bloat the base system
with it, but yet would have a fine method to provide a good newuser
template.

The only concern i would have with this approach is that this port
should only depend from other ports that are available in package form
on the CD-ROM (so people without Internet access will be able to use
it).  I haven't looked whether this applies to the stuff presented by
Jamie (though i'd assume it).

What i imagine is that this should be available in package form
itself, maybe with an installation script that will be run during the
package installation.

Anybody feeling tempted by such a project?

--
cheers, J"org