Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 22:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux and Solaris tcp beating FreeBSD 4:1

Certainly a troll in the header, but let me explain.  We've been
deploying ADSL... and our own office is well beyond the limit of what
should work from our main pop.  However, the equipment comes up with a
minimal speed link... with one caveat...

About 10% (or more) of the packets are corrupted or lost in transit
over the link.

At the far end of the link are a 4 FreeBSD boxes, a Solaris 2.5 box
and a linux 2.2.something box.  At the near end of the link, there are
FreeBSD, Linux and Windoze boxes.  Now the following table:

FreeBSD <--> FreeBSD		10K/s
FreeBSD <--> Linux		10K/s
Solaris <--> Linux		30K/s
Solaris <--> FreeBSD		20K/s
Linux	<--> FreeBSD		40K/s
Linux   <--> Linux		40K/s

It would appear that linux boxes that are 2.0.x exhibit the same speed
as FreeBSD --- it would appear that speed depends largely on the
sender.

I havn't done a packet dump yet... but why is Linux beating FreeBSD
4:1 and what can I do about it?

Dave.