Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:45:20 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Reiner,

> "How-To-Repeat: /etc/rc.conf

> ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.0.2/24"
> ifconfig_re0_alias0="ether 00:02:1a:2b:3c:4d"

That's another way you can set the MAC in /etc/rc.conf

> Did you try this command-by-command through the CLI and have the
> output of that?

Yes, but I can't use alias or add parameter with the ether, lladdr or link
options.

JKi: As per the man-pages of ifconfig ether, lladdr and link may be used
interchangeably and are all interpreted to mean one and the same thing.

Than it says: ifconfig: ether: bad value.

JKi: That was exactly what I tried to convey in my previous email. As per
the man pages of ifconfig 'alias' and '-alias' are intended to respectively
add and remove a, what in Cisco terminology is referred to as a, secondary
IP address to or from an interface. Since both 'ether' and the notation of
the address in "ifconfig_re0_alias0="ether 00:02:1a:2b:3c:4d" pertain to a
MAC address this is behavior that one IMHO would expect as per the
man-pages, assuming 'alias' in 'ifconfig_re0_alias0' is interpreted as a
command parameter rather than as a mere label.

My hands-on experience in the area of UNIX is limited and dated, so these
were my 5 cents worth of suggestions.

Sorry I can't help you any further at this time.

Regards, Jk.