Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2007 04:31:38 +0000
From:      "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        Leonard Lilla <leonard_lilla@gmx.net>, Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: install

> But, do install the ports tree - note, that's the ports tree/skeleton
> not the whole bunch of actual ports.
With csup being a part of the base systems now don't install even this
because csup will nuke most of it anyway and spew a bunch or warnings.

This might be a little advanced for a complete beginner but the
following procedure seems to work well for me:

1. Install nothing except base and kernels
2. Edit your /usr/share/example/cvsup/ports-supfile and
.../standard-supfile
    a. Change the default host
    b. Depending on how current you are change RELENG_XXX to . in
standard-supfile
3. Run:
    csup /usr/share/example/cvsup/standard-supfile
4. Depending on what version you have and what customizations you want
edit /etc/make.conf and /usr/src/sys/XXX/conf/YYY where XXX is your
arrch and YYY is the name of your custom kernel
5. Run:
    make buildworld buildkernel installkernel
6. Reboot in single user mode
7. mount your partitions (read/write)
8. run:
    cd /usr/src
    make installworld
    mergemaster
9. Reboot your machine is now the latest of what ever branch your
making for
For a desktop system I install the following in order:

x11/xorg
x11/gnome2
editor/gnome2-office
mail/engimail-thunderbird
multimedia/vlc
audio/rhymbox
print/cups
print/lyx

For development machines (only one):

java/jdk16
java/jdk16-doc
database/mysqlXX-client        where XX is what ever version you want
www/apache-22
lang/php5

--
Aryeh M. Friedman