Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 17:16:01 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        mishania@demos.su
Cc:        bag@sinbin.demos.su, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with smp kernel

Hi,

> > I wonder if you have corrupt sources?  Another user reports grossly
> > unstable system with current CTM sources.  How/where/when did you
> > get the SMP sources?
>
> I cvsuped them as of...~24/25/26 of January, with cvsup-file stolen from
> ~fsmp pages. After that, when all this mailing started, I rebuild
> everything once again on ~28.01
>
> > Are you seeing any dying procs, sig10/11s, etc. while it is running?
> > Are there any messages when it reboots?  do you have DDB enabled
> > in the config file, if not do so.
>
> Sometimes yes, there's some neat announce about catching floating exception
> on the console, sometimes it just reboots without declaring the war.

the root of your problem may be the floating point code.  They is a major
bug in the current SMP kernel where FP exception is almost guaranteed to
crash the system!  I've started up a page on the SMP site to collect info:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/float.html

on this page you will find a patxch that uses floating point emulation.  I
suggest adding this patch to see if it fixes the problem.

---
> now I think I am going to rebuild the SMP tree from scratch, getting fresh
> sources. I somehow guess they changed at least a bit in these past weeks?

I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I suspect it won't solve the problem, I'm betting
its the float issue.

---

--
Steve Passe	| powered by