Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:11:09 GMT
From:      issyl0@FreeBSD.org
To:        rfg@tristatelogic.com, issyl0@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, issyl0@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/168885: man page for find(1) fails to describe the -depth option

Synopsis: man page for find(1) fails to describe the -depth option

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: issyl0
State-Changed-When: Sat Jun 9 11:04:27 UTC 2012
State-Changed-Why:
To submitter:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean.  This is the relevant
man page from 8.3 - the version of FreeBSD you reported to
be using - and the -d option is documented:

-d      Cause find to perform a depth-first traversal, i.e., directories
	     are visited in post-order and all entries in a directory will be
	     acted on before the directory itself.  By default, find visits
	     directories in pre-order, i.e., before their contents.  Note, the
	     default is not a breadth-first traversal.

	     This option is equivalent to the -depth primary of IEEE Std
	     1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'').  The -d option can be useful when find
	     is used with cpio(1) to process files that are contained in
	     directories with unusual permissions.  It ensures that you have
	     write permission while you are placing files in a directory, then
	     sets the directory's permissions as the last thing.

If you feel this could be clarified in some way, please let me know.

Thanks,

Isabell.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-doc->issyl0
Responsible-Changed-By: issyl0
Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Jun 9 11:04:27 UTC 2012
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Taking this one.