Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 95 12:54:37 PDT
From:      "Michael J. Caughey" <mcaughey@mgsinc.com>
To:        "Michael J. Caughey" <mcaughey@mgsinc.com>, Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        Pete Kruckenberg <pete@dsw.com>, Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>, Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byet April 95 no ref to screennd

>I'd be surprised if you could find -any- firewall package that would
>"legally validate its security."  An author or company would have to
>be positively and absolutely insane to do so,  and I'd run away from
>them as quickly as possible, because I'd figure if they're that stupid
>then their product is probably crap too.

   I can see what your trying to say.  I don't want to get into a heated flame war
here, so let me explain myself.  I simply asked if I could purchase the Product from
him, Paul Vixie, and he said he could not legally do so.  I never mentioned "legally
validate its security".  He said, his hands were tied legally to sell it.   When I
tried to set up some kind of support plan with him he said, no problem.  Then said he
wasn't sure if he could legally do that.  Of course this wasn't definate, but it was
left to that about three weeks ago and I have yet to here from him.  I started talking
with him about three or four weeks pirior to that.

	As far selling a product that is secure that is supposed to provide security,
I would expect some sort of legal statement that it can provide some level of
security.  Quite obiviously, certian limitations would be expectable, such as if
someone got root on your system because you failed to properly configure it.

	The level of security I was looking for to make sure there were no "BACK
DOORS" that someone could use.   I don't believe that is to much to ask for from the
author of a product, especially one that is to be part of your network security.  But
he said he could not do so.

I'm sorry if you miss understood me.

END
Name   : Michael Caughey
E-mail : mcaughey@mgsinc.com

MGS, Inc.           Phone   (804) 379-0230
Richmond, Va        Fax     (804) 379-1299

Eastern Daylight Time: 12:54:37 , 07/10/95