Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:33:39 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        g4@novadsp.com
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve as x64 AMP platform?

Hi Jerry,

> The Linux Jailhouse (https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse) project is one
> means of implementing an AMP solution for x64. Does bhyve offers similar
> possibilities?

  Yes, indirectly:

> In this case the guest can be viewed as a single threaded for(;;) loop that
> polls the USB3 controller, with the guest locked to a single core etc.
> (Practically, effectively I think, a subset of the ELF loader code in the
> fork here: https://github.com/g40/bhyveosvload)

  For these type of use-cases, you would pin a guest to a single core,
and use cpusets to prevent FreeBSD from running on that core. The

  For these type of use-cases, you would pin the guest to a single core
using the bhyve '-p' option, and use the cpuset command to prevent
FreeBSD itself from running on that core.

> The key question, I think, revolves around PCI passthru capabilities. Is it
> possible to isolate and map specific hardware into the guest whilst running
> under the hypervisor?
> In this case it would be highly advantageous _not_ to
> virtualize the XHCI controller but I am not sure if this can be done within
> bhyve?

  Stock PCI passthru works this way.

later,

Peter.