Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 15:44:29 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Harry Patterson" <harry@visiontm.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPD and Proxyarp

> I know this has been discussed on the list many times, but after reviewing
> over 100 articles, "The Complete FreeBSD" book and the handbook,  I am
> obviously missing something.
>
> I am using PPPD (although user ppp  behaves similarly with proxy) to connect
> using an ISDN modem and PAP.

I can't speak for pppd.

> The connection works fine and I am able to ping and communicate with the
> Internet. I am trying to allow my ethernet users to see the Internet as
> well. I understand "defaultroute and/or proxyarp" is required to accomplish
> this. I receive the following error message after authentication:
>
> "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP"
>
> The man page for PPPD says "The proxyarp option causes pppd to look for a
> network interface on the same subnet as the remote host". I assume this is
> my problem as my local net is 192.168.93 and my PPP connection is
> 208.236.113. I just can't figure out how to 1) tell PPPD what the route is
> to the ed0 interface or 2) change whatever problem setting I have in my
> local settings.

Proxy arp is when your machine answers arp requests on behalf of the
machine that's made the ppp connection.  If it's not part of the same
subnet as one of your interfaces, there will never be any arp
requests for the IP, and therefore the proxy arp is not required.

> Another odd problem, that may be related, is that I cannot ping my side of
> the ppp connection from the FreeBSD box. I can ping the peer's address and
> everything beyond it, ping the ed0 address and ping the ethernet
> workstation, but not my ppp ip address. Adding routed to rc.conf "solves"
> this problem, but seems an unnecessary overhead and correcting the symptom
> not the problem.

This is the correct solution.  Ppp has a ``loopback'' option that
defaults to enabled.  With this option, packets destined for the
local interface address are looped back.  NICs do this for you, pppd
does not.

> I have included as much information as I thought was helpful below.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Harry

If you want to connect your LAN to the 'net when your LANs IPs are
not recognised by the outside world, use the -alias switch to ppp.
If you really want to use pppd, use natd too.

If your LAN has real IPs, then the problem is a routing one, not a
ppp one.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;