Date:      Tue, 1 May 2012 03:10:15 GMT
From:      moto kawasaki <moto@kawasaki3.org>
To:        freebsd-xen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/166174: [xen] Problems ROOT MOUNT ERROR <freebsd 8.3>

The following reply was made to PR kern/166174; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: moto kawasaki <moto@kawasaki3.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: ilsujang@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 12:00:02 +0900 (JST)

 Hi,

 I'd report the similar case which I am facing.

 My envrionment is;
   XenServer 5.6 SP2
   FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE (amd64) -- XENHVM kernel

 when booting this FreeBSD VM, its kernel cannot mount root disk.

 (case 1: ad0s1a, from /etc/fstab) ==========================

 ums0: <Endpoint1 Interrupt Pipe) on usbus0
 ums0: 3 buttons and [Z] coordinates ID=0
 Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
 ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
 If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
 the loader prompt:

      set ufs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

 and then remove invalid mount options from /ete/fstab.

 Loader variables:
 vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
 vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
 Manual root filesgstem specification:
                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
                        eg. cd9660:/deu/acd0
                        This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /deu/acd0 /
   ? List valid disk boot devices
   <empty line> Abort manual input

 mountroot> _

 (case 2: xbd, entered by hand just after the case 1) =======
 mountroot> ufs:/dev/xbd0s1a
 Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/xbd0s1a
 ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
 If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
 the loader prompt:

      set ufs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

 and then remove invalid mount options from /ete/fstab.

 Loader variables:
 vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
 vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
 Manual root filesgstem specification:
                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
                        eg. cd9660:/deu/acd0
                        This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /deu/acd0 /
   ? List valid disk boot devices
   <empty line> Abort manual input

 mountroot> _

 HVMXEN kernel of FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p6 works just fine in this
 environment.

 Also, I can try other "mountroot>" devices if you could tell me within
 a day or two.

 Thank you!!

 Best Regards,

 --