Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:48:07 -0800
From:      "R. Tyler Croy" <tyler@monkeypox.org>
To:        Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserinae.net>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng for configuration management?

--z8OPzjJiggy3JOV2

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013, Kamil Choudhury wrote:

> I've been setting up a private pkgng repository to push software to a fam=
ily of about 20 different hosts.=20
>=20
> One command software deployment is pretty awesome, so I got to thinking: =
why not go one step further and start pushing configurations for each of th=
ese hosts via pkgng as well (either by putting the config files into the in=
itial software pkg, or via a separate pkg that installs only the configurat=
ions)?=20
>=20
> Has anyone else tried going down this rabbit hole? If so, what has your e=
xperience with the system been? =20

Zach Leslie has written a good pkgng provider for Puppet
(https://github.com/xaque208/puppet-pkgng) which worked on FreeBSD9, I've y=
et
to test it on 10 though.

I highly recommend going the Puppet route instead of attempting to use the
packaging system for configuration. There's lots of horror stories in the L=
inux
community of people wrapping everything in the world into debs or rpms, and
regretting it later.

If you do go down the Puppet route, you may consider joining the Puppet BSD
mailing list: <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/puppet-bsd>;

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy
    Code: https://github.com/rtyler