Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:36:04 -0700
From:      "Frank Warren" <clovis@home.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, "Postmaster" <webmaster@radikal.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Copyright and payment

You must be a fan of Stallman and the FSF.  What you say below is untrue.  I
went to www.gnu.org and looked at their current (and always changing) GPL.
From that GPL we see:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1
and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source
code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on
a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to
give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically
performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the
corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1
and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for
noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object
code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b
above.)

So what I said was correct.  Upon demand, one must surrender all source to
any third party if one adds code to a GPL source and redistributes.  This
includes the use of ANY GPL-licensed source, whether or not for profit, and
whether or not for commercial use.  In short, when GPL code is used with
your code, you lose all rights as stated.  You are committed, by law, to
give up your intellectual property rights, to disclose your inventions and
so forth.

Note also that the GNU page is arguing against software patents in Europe,
which makes the thrust of this organization pretty clear.

GNU is what it is, and anyone who wants to go look can see for themselves.
The license is paraded about publicly, and it has the express intent of
infecting anything bundled with GPL with the GPL license.

It admits now, grudgingly, because it would otherwise be overturned, that
one is entitled to keep one's own code and can use and license it as one
pleases.

You lose this one.  The GPL is precisely a virus as claimed, and seeks to
wrest from other people their intellectual property rights compared to the
FreeBSD license.  It does not demand that you redistribute the GNU source
but YOUR ORIGINAL SOURCE as well; that is to say, it infects and abrogates
your rights to whatever you might add to the software base.  What one
bundles with any GPL code becomes, necessarily, public domain.  And this is
why I have nothing to do with FSF, GPL or GNU anything.  Even Micro$teal
gives one a better deal than that and as I recall, they recently lost an
anti-trust case.

Thanks for playing.