Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:12:41 -1000
From:      "Wai Chan" <waichan@hpu.edu>
To:        "Tim Kellers" <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <el@njit.edu>, <kellers@njit.edu>
Subject:   RE: webct on freebsd?

We are looking into the webct db version.  It is logical to store
quizes, ... in a db, however, we are not rushing into the new db
version, 'cus we do not have much faith with webct.  It is still buggy
and have a lot of problems with different version and brand of browsers
(eg: not all IE 5 or above are supported, not all Netscape 4 or above
are supported).

I agree with you that webct consists more than just Perl.  However, perl
scripts are the only core engine for webct and runs on a server.  Java
applets and Java scripts are clients side codes, will be only downloaded
and executed on the client's web browser but not on a server, will not
be affected by the version and brand of server OS.  In other words, you
may ignore java stuff and all other client side codes when choosing a
server, as long as you have the right verion of perl and Apache on
FreeBSD, I pretty sure webct will run just fine.

This is what I would do to get webct on a FreeBSD box.
	1.  linux compatibility (not sure if you need it, most likely
not, but load it just in case)
	2.  install webct (which installs webct's verion of perl 5.6.1
and Apache).
	3.  download/compile/install Apache for FreeBSD.
	4.  copy the httpd.conf (webct version) to FreeBSD Apache
httpd.conf.
	5.  check/modify the httpd.conf to make sure all the path in the
conf is reflecting the FreeBSD Apache instead of webct apache.
	5.  start the FreeBSD Apache (do not run the webct apache).
By now, older version of webct (the version doesn't require a license
daemon, eg: ver 3.6) should work fine.

Now, the hard part is to get the webct license daemon work (eg: webct
ver 3.7 or above).  The license daemon is a compiled binary executable
file for Solaris or Redhat, so ... hope the license binary execues on
FreeBSD.  If unsuccessful, enable_linux (linux compatibility) on FreeBSD
(linux_enable=3D"yes" in /etc/rc.conf) to try again.  If still fail to =
run
the license daemon, you will need to get the source code from webct and
recompile.  Good Luck!

BTW, I think you mean linux compatibility instead of redhat emulation.

Thanks!

best wishes,
Wai Chan