Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:57:12 -0800
From:      Manfred Antar <null@pozo.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@McKusick.COM>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@tislabs.com>, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update to UFS2 Superblock Format

At 09:11 PM 11/24/2002 -0800, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>On Tuesday Nov 26th I plan to make an update to the UFS2
>superblock. It will not affect UFS1 filesystems so should
>be generally transparent to most -current users. For those
>using UFS2 filesystems, the new kernel will update the
>superblock to the new format the first time that your UFS2
>filesystem is mounted read-write. Once updated it will not
>be able to be mounted by older kernels unless the `zapsb'
>program (see below) is run to revert it to the old format.
>
>The only really noticable problem arises when you are booting
>from a UFS2 root partition. Here, you must follow the following
>steps:
>
>1) boot new kernel
>2) mount -u /
>3) install new bootstrap
>
>Once the new kernel has converted the filesystem format for the
>root partition, the old bootstrap will no longer recognize it, so
>if you do not have a new bootstrap, you will no longer be able to
>boot from it. Note that you cannot update to the new bootstrap
>until the filesystem has been converted as the new bootstrap will
>not recognize the old superblock format. Again, this change will
>only affect you if you are using a UFS2 filesystem as your root
>filesystem.
>
>The changes that I plan to apply can be viewed at:
>
>        http://www.freebsd.org/~mckusick/UFS2_update.diffs
>
>The program `zapsb.c' that reverts a UFS2 filesystem to its
>previous state can be found at:
>
>        http://www.freebsd.org/~mckusick/zapsb.c
>
>If this change is going to cause you undue hardship, please
>send me mail (mckusick@mckusick.com).
>
>        Kirk McKusick

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Kirk
With a kernel and system current as of Thurs night.
I did a dump of / , /var , /usr filesystems.
I did a disklabel -B da0s1
I did a make release and booted off the cdrom.
went into the fixit mode and did newfs -O2 /dev/da0s1a (root) /dev/da0s1e (/var) /dev/da0s1f (/usr)
I then did a restore of the file systems.
when i reboot somehow the bootstrap bypasses /boot/loader
Here is what I see on the screen

/boot.config -P
Invalid format

>>FreeBSD/i386/UFS1 BOOT
Default: 0:da(0,a)/kernel
boot:
WARNING: loader(8) metadata is missing!

I have a current kernel in the / directory so it boots that
and I get to the:
mountroot>    and do
mountroot> ufs:da0s1a

I guess what ineed to know is how to install the UFS2 bootblocks
Thanks
Manfred