Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 1995 11:44:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 on 2.0

Marty Leisner stands accused of saying:
> I have ed1 mapped to interrupt 4/port 0x300 (this works with linux)
> [I used the boot loader -c option)

I'm amused.  Do you have serial ports in this machine?

> and get:
>
> ed1: device timeout (consistently)

This means that the board has not delivered a 'transmit complete'
interrupt.

You get this when your _hardware_ isn't working; because it's configured
incorrectly or because it's broken.

> ip is working (I can ping localhost)
> but I can't:
> 	ping a remote host

Have you sniffed the network to see whether packets are getting out?
I suspect that they are, but of course you can't _receive_ them
coming back.

> 	ping the bsd machine from a remote host...

That's obvious 8)

> I also want to install a cross-compiling environment on linux
> to make freebsd executables...and kernels...

Don't.  It's not worth your sanity.  Export a couple hundred meg from
your Linux box via NFS and install the FreeBSD tools natively.

You'll get to discover how wonderful (not) Linux's NFS performance is,
but you'll save yourself the trauma of having to support the BSD
build tools on a system that they were never meant to run on.

> marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[