Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:07:58 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Martyn Routley <staff@invictanet.co.uk>
Cc:        Freebsd-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for DNS advice

On Sep 17, Martyn Routley <staff@invictanet.co.uk> wrote:

> We are soon making 2 fundamental changes to our network.
>
> 1) A change of provider, requiring us to change our IP address allocation.
> 2) A physical change of location.
>
> We expect to be "switched off" for no more than 2 hours while servers are
> moved from old to new locations.
>
> Both changes are happening at the same time. Can anybody suggest ways of
> configuring our DNS to ensure that we are visible again as soon as possible
> after the move?

Seven days before you move, bring your TTL and Expire in the zone files down
to 3600 (one hour). When you go to move, bring it down to 5 minutes. When
you've moved, bring it back upto a week again for normal service. All of
this means that people are going to be querying you a lot and so will pick
up the changes quite quickly when you move. However, some stupid Windows
boxen will always cache for 7 days, no matter what you do. In an ideal world
you would have kit on both sites, both IP ranges temporarily serving both
and then you could do some clever round-robin'ing for a week or so.

Alternatively, consider moving to something like 'eddie' for a while to help
you juggle this.

Good luck with changing all those NS records for the domains you're hosting
(if you have many). :-)

--
Technical Director @ Akita      | A computer lets you make more mistakes
                                `-----