Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 03:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, tom@uniserve.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, Studded@dal.net
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:39:00 -0700 (PDT) Tom said:
>On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> >		[Org. author's name lost...]
>> > 	I remember a discussion a while back that the changes to allow
>> > user names of greater than 8 characters that are presently working in
>> > current would be back-ported to 2.2.x RSN.  I'm wondering if this
>> > change will be made in time for the 2.2.5 release.
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure who told you that but it was definitely never our
>> intention to go to >8 character usernames in the 2.2-stable branch.
>> There is too much potential upheaval associated with that change and
>> so we've decided to take our lumps all at once with 3.0.
>>
>> 					Jordan
>
>  I'd like to register strong disagreement with the above.  The change
>itself, is simple.  It is going to affect packages that read/alter
>utmp/wtmp/lastlog.  However, since the packages will be re-built
>everything will be ok, as long as people don't use old packages.  I think
>we should get this change behind us.  It is only get to get worse.
>
>  I'm also rather annoyned that BSDI has had 16 characters usernames for
>over two years, and FreeBSD doesn't yet have a single release that does.
>It makes FreeBSD look antiquated.

I have to agree with Tom.  My clients _don't_ want to hear "You can have
longer aliases but login names must be 8 charsacters or less."  They
don't care how it's implemented, they don't want to have to think about
it.

I recall discussions about this running back to the days of 2.1.5, etc.
At that time, the arguement was "let's put 2.1.x to bed & put this on
the list for -current (then 2.2...)."  The point being, this is a
change that has been talked about _forever_ and it's always been
"a later release."

I know the core team is under pressure to to get 2.2.5 out the door,
but would it not be possible for one of the _several_ individuals
who have done the mods to their system to submit a patch kit to
the core team for testing & possible inclusion?

John		(Who's been there, booting the box out the door,
		 patching all the way...)

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting