Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 11:41:59 -0500
From:      Andy Sloane <andy@guildsoftware.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new syscons screensaver

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:16:00AM -0500, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> The screensaver isn't bad, and it gets pretty trippy when you focus at
> infinity and let the 3D-Illusions (TM) effect set in. If I were to make
> one suggestion, it would be to animate Beastie, so that he walks around
> the screen rather than teleporting everywhere.

Heh.  My main aim was to make it as low-overhead as possible for my poor
old firewall box, but animating him wouldn't add much, especially on modern
computers. :)

> However, I'm quite fond of the green_saver module, which shuts down my
> monitor after 15 minutes. Other screensavers are really just for
> entertainment; I think green_saver is the only one that serves a really
> good purpose.

I agree; however I'm running FreeBSD on my firewall box, which has an old
vga monitor which isn't DPMS-capable, so it doesn't really ever shut down
unless I turn it off.  For all I know I may be the only one who actually
uses these screensavers.  So I thought I'd try maximize my entertainment
value.

-Andy