Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 10:34:30 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ExBSD

Stuart Krivis wrote:

> Good enough? Yes, Windows is quite mediocre, so I guess that fits the
> definition of "good enough."

I remember an article written by an OS/2 ISV that argued that Windows
was successful because it was merely "good enough", and that no matter
how technically excellent OS/2 was, it could not compete against Windows
because most people only want "good enough".

> Prevailing on the desktop? Most people don't have much choice. They didn't
> evaluate all the options and decide that Windows is best for them.

Oh, they have the choice all right. They merely choose not to excercise
it. Choosing FreeBSD (or Linux, BeOS, etc) is a more difficult decision
than to just take what's already installed.
Why should they make an effort to learn Unix, check for hardware
compatibility, and be the odd man out on their block, when Windows is
already "good enough"?

We're all using FreeBSD (or some other Unix) because we will not settle
for "good enough".

David