Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:53:20 +1030
From:      "Rob" <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Martin McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Subject:   Re: Extracting individual Files via tar

You should always use the f option to specify the archive - for example

    tar -tzf archive.tgz

to list or

    tar -xzf archive.tgz

to extract. In your example below, you didn't specify an archive so it
defaulted to the device /dev/sa0, which it couldn't open.

Any extra arguments are treated as archive members - eg

    tar -xzf archive.tgz files/to/extract

In your example below, it was trying to find 2 files in a non-existent
archive.