Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:46:32 -0500
From:      rafege@mail.com (G.E. Rafe)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2-R on Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100

I upgraded the 5.2-RC2 partition on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100
last night to 5.2-R, then pulled down the changes made to
src/sys/dev/ata since RC2 was released.
Compiled a new kernel & lo -- APM suspend/resume is getting passed
the ata0 reset consistently, without any extra kernel output !

That's the good news.

The bad news is that following the first suspend/resume cycle,
USB goes away ("kernel: uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1").

I continued to build a kernel with "option USB_DEBUG",
and found the USB hardware to "come back" properly following
suspend/resume, even though debug messages are turned off
(sysctl hw.usb.debug=0).

So, even the bad news has a happier outcome.

I can post (or send) relevant dmesg(8) output, as requested.

One other "nit": the AC97 mixer device in 4.9-R appeared to recognize
separate bass & treble controls with the pcm(4) driver.
With 5.2-R, I found this functionality "went away".
Removal of the "fix" in src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c that fixes
tone on ac97 devices brought back the separate bass & treble controls,
as reported by mixer(1).
According to my ears,
these tone control functions do seem to make a difference.

Also, the nVidia XFree86 driver looks to work fine at 1600x1200x16bpp
(fast, & no black band along the right of the LCD).

When I get a little more time in the coming days,
I'll revisit ACPI on this box.

Regards,
--
Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.