Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 06:21:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: scsi(1) and WORM drives..

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> I've got a Phillips CDROM burner that I would, for obvious reasons,
> love to actually have work under FreeBSD.  I know that it's probably
> impractical, since these things need to be fed a steady stream of
> data, but perhaps I could use the new rtprio() stuff to make sure that
> the `burning' process didn't have to give up the CPU until it was damn
> well ready.  When it's making a CDROM, I don't want it doing anything
> else anyway.
>
> It wasn't recognised by the SCSI driver, or at least it was probed and
> then noted as having no explicit driver available and then ignored, so
> I configured in the UK device and here's what I got:
>
> sd1: 4095MB (8388315 total sec), 3712 cyl, 21 head, 107 sec, bytes/sec 512
> bt0 targ 3 lun 0: type 4(worm) removable SCSI1
> bt0 targ 3 lun 0: <IMS     CDD521/10       ????>
> uk0: unknown device
> bt0 targ 3 lun 1: type 4(worm) removable SCSI1
> bt0 targ 3 lun 1: <IMS     CDD521/10       ????>

Ship it here and I'll send it back working...

> Anyone know how or if I can now use scsi(1) to somehow get raw data to
> the device?  Ideally, I would just like to be able to do the equivalent
> of:	dd if=image.cd0 of=/dev/rsd2d

You can't do this, though it may make sense to change the unknown driver
to support read and write translating over to regular read and write.
That should work for both processor type and WORM devices.

> But as life is probably nowhere near that simple, I'll also settle for
> being able to open some device and ram the file down its throat
> somehow after suitable ioctl()s, or whatever.

This should send 512 bytes of data read from stdin to block 17:

scsi -f /dev/uk0 -c "2A 0 i4 0 i2 0" 17 -o 512 -

> This would actually be such an advantage for us that I think there
> could be some money in this if somebody wanted to contract for the job
> of making this all work.  Comments?

If you want to send it here I'll send it back tested.  You pick up
the shipping charges and supply the materials that I need.  If you need
me to spend full time on it for a few days we'll have to talk money.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936