Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17774: stray irq7

The following reply was made to PR kern/17774; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 08:55:04 +1000 (EST)

 On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Johan Karlsson wrote:

 >  I suggest the following is added to the faq

 The fwa? :-).

 >  =============
 >  Q: What does 'stray irq' mean?
 >  A: Stray irq are interupts from some hardware that do not have
 >  a driver assigned to it. J Wunsch writes in a response to a PR

 No, they are mostly from hardware that removes its interrupt request
 in the middle of the interrupt request acknowledge cycle.  FreeBSD's
 interrupt handling (toggling the PIC masks at a critical time)
 probably amplifies this problem.  Assigning a driver can "fix" the
 problem by breaking detection of it.  The correct fix is to detect
 the stray interrupts caused by interrupt timing glitches and decide
 what to do about them (whatever is done, it shouldn't involve
 printing a faq magnet).

 Bruce