Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:57:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, roger@cs.strath.ac.uk
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, russ@demon.net
Subject:   Re: windows 98

>  >> why on earth would anyone want to ask a Windows 98 Question on a
>  >> FreeBSD mailing list?
>
>  > The fact that they are using a microshit product should be a good hint.
>  >

>  It is becoming increasingly common for Win95/NT/98 questions to
>  pop up on this group. But none knows why.

Joe User uses their web browser to search one of the many web search engine
for the card they have a problem with...up comes a FreeBSD page that talks
about the driver written for FreeBSD. Joe User sees (in Charlie Brown style)
WAA, WAA, WAA, (his card), WAA, WAA, WAA, WAA (mailing list name).
Joe User send message to mailling list.

It is annoying to see M$ questions, but Joe User is not informed enough to
know that your web page is not close enough to what he wants to know. I get
them all the time.

It is my impression that if Win/NT questions bother you, throw them away,
or if you are the driver author and you feel you must answer, state that you
do not have that information because FreeBSD is a seperate/different OS.

If I am Joe User and I get back the above reply  from a "FreeBSD whatever
that is" mailling list, I don't think my impression of the group and desire
to ever use that product in the future will be too high. It can take one
flippant comment to sour someone for ever.

--mark.