Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 05:53:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrate users/mail from NT to FreeBSD?

On 2002-02-04 09:52, Steven Lake wrote:
> 	HI all.  Trying or at least at this point in time, looking at
> migrating users off of an older NT box, and maybe also off of a win2k
> server box onto a single Freebsd box without messing up anything.  I need
> to move their permissions, mail, user files, etc. over to the Freebsd box
> without any interruptions.  This would only be about 20-40 users per box,
> maybe 100 total.  However, I want to be able to experiment with doing this
> on a smaller scale to ready myself for some larger moves proposed laster
> this year that will include moving mail and other services (domains
> included) from one of our primary win2k boxes and onto a single Freebsd
> box in the NOC.
>
> 	I'm already realizing this may be a bit involved, but if anyone
> has anything good that I can use as a guide, tutorial, reference, or just
> some advice you can offer I'd apreciate this.  I'm starting now so I'm
> ahead of the game and don't have to kill myself later.  Thanks.

This can be a bit involved, and you will probably have to get to know
FreeBSD well enough to feel confident that you can 'fix' things if/when
problems do occur.  I have used FreeBSD as the main server for mail, DNS,
web & database services.  I know it can be done.  But I would suggest that
before planning on such switch-technology moves, you should probably allow
for some time to get used to the new operating system.

The best thing you can do is grab a copy of FreeBSD and start playing with
it, at home or work.  If this can be done on work time, as part of the
"research for migration" good for you.  If not, get yourself a copy[1] of the
FreeBSD installation cdroms and install the system a few times at home.
Get to know it's components (pay special attention to upgrade instructions
and the ports/packages system), and learn how to use FreeBSD to install,
maintain, upgrade software.  You have obviously found the link to this
mailing list, so you already know where to look for support, when you need
it.  Learn how and when you can get support for FreeBSD, in case things go
wrong and you need some assistance.

	[1] Detailed instructions about ways to obtain FreeBSD can be found
	    on the FreeBSD.org website [http://www.freebsdo.org].  Just
	    follow the "Getting FreeBSD" link of the first page.)

Then, when you feel confident enough to base your services on FreeBSD, give
it a try.  What you're asking now is a rather vague question to be answered
in detail.  When you try to migrate part of your services to FreeBSD, you
can always ask on this list for help, as you're moving stuff away from NT.

You mentioned 20-40 users, maybe 100 on a single box.  FreeBSD can handle
much more than that, without being a huge memory pig.  You can probably
move all your users on na single FreeBSD machine, given a descent amount of
resources put on that machine.  But this is something that needs to be
addressed after you've used FreeBSD for a while, and I'll let it go for
now.   Closing, if you eventually do decide to use FreeBSD for your work:

Welcome to FreeBSD :-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/