Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:18:57 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@folly.lemis.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, Daniel Malament <danielm@j51.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum installation

On Thursday,  3 June 1999 at 14:58:38 -0400, Christopher Michaels wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 03, 1999 2:41 PM, Daniel Malament <danielm@j51.com> wrote:
>> To:	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject:	vinum installation
>>
>> Hey all.  I'm trying to install vinum, but I'm having some problems.  The
>> biggest on is that the makefile is looking for stuff under
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum, which doesn't exist on our system.  Do I have to
>> blow away /usr/src/sys and reinstall from ftp.freebsd.org?  (This is a
>> 2.2.8 system, btw.)  Am I just missing something?
>>
>> Also, I'm hoping to use it to mirror a drive.  How stable is vinum at this
>> point?

At "this point", Vinum is very stable.  However, 2.2.8 is not "this
point".  There are a number of unfixed problems in the 2.2.8 version,
including one relating to building.  I won't have time to look at this
version for at least two weeks.

>> Will I be able to use the mirrored drive easily if the main one
>> crashes?

Yes.

>> Am I better off just using rdist in a nightly cron job?

That depends on what you want to do.  Normally, the answer would be an
emphatic "no".

>  1. Did you get the tarball from ftp.lemis.com, and which one did you get?
>  2. Did you follow the instructions in the README.
>
> It says in there that you are supposed to cd /usr/src and then untar the
> files there.
> Take a look at ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/vinum/README
>
> As far as stability, I haven't heard much trouble with it.  I'm using vinum
> but only for concatenation.  Personally I think, even if you are mirroring,
> you should still do backups anyway.  :)

Correct.  No RAID system can protect against finger trouble.

Greg