Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 20:36:41 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Jeremie Le Hen'" <jeremie@le-hen.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: iwi(4) not working

> From: Jeremie Le Hen
>     jarjarbinks:sys# ifconfig iwi0
>     iwi0: flags=3D8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:12:f0:2c:f3:6e
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid cyb
>         authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100
> %%%
>=20
> I friend with an iBook can easily connect to this access-point.  I =
don't
> understand why I can't get the associated status.
> Note that the shown MAC address is the correct one, thus the=20
> card seems to receive some beacon frames, it's not a ``link'' error.

The NIC doesn't have to be associated to get the beacon frames.  As Mike
said, iwi is still deep in beta territory.  A common workaround to get =
the
NIC to associate is to drop it out of autoselect using the "mode N" =
argument
to ifconfig.  Replace "N" with "11a", "11b" or "11g", depending on which
flavor of wireless you're using.  BTW, WPA is broken.