Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 23:43:59 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 80x24 ?

In some mail from sos@FreeBSD.ORG, sie said:

> > is anyone looking at making FreeBSD boot into a text resolution greater
> > than 80x24 ?  I sorta miss 132x60 in Linux...
>
> No, unless somebody comes up with a way of programming each and
> every videocard around the globe...

In the back of my TSeng booklet, it tells you how to set the card for
anything beyond 80x24 in assembly:

* place 0 in register AH to indicate "select mode" function
* place the mode # in register AL
* execute an INT 10h instruction

and down the bottom it mentions that this is the standard BIOS interface
for video mode select.

Linux has some table of the things, and before it did this, it would
somehow "probe" the card and give a (not complete) list of available
modes.

Hmm, now, what's the problem ?

darren