Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2020 13:02:38 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Hi,

On 8/5/20 12:31 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:

> I seems this is a done deal as changes are already being done now. So
> the real question is, when is the portsnap utility going to be removed
> from the base system? Will it happen in 12.2 or 13.0?

Full removal may not happen before 13.0 but hopefully disabling it by
default, so that it is not installed unless one explicitly enables it,
will happen before 13.0.

> I maintain ports that use the portsnap utility. One is currently going
> through a maintenance cycle right now. Should the use of portsnap be
> removed from the port now?

Not necessarily, as 11.x and 12.x will have it of course, but it should
definitely handle portsnap not being present on the system in any case,
since it can be disabled via WITHOUT_PORTSNAP (even on 11.x and 12.x).

Steve