Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:10:57 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Privileged port problems

My ISP appears to be filtering outgoing packets for privileged source port
numbers.  This is preventing me from accessing anoncvs.freebsd.org; the CVS
client attempts to authenticate to anoncvs.freebsd.org using a privileged source
port (via rsh) and the operation times out.  I also observe that rpcinfo as a
non-privileged user works correctly, but fails as root because it then attempts
to use a privileged source port.

I'm fairly certain I will have no luck convincing my ISP to allow these
connections.  No doubt they will claim it prevents their customers from using
their system to attack other hosts.

I am able to access the Mozilla anonymous CVS server successfully because they
are using :pserver: authentication which uses no reserved port to authenticate.
Would it be possible to provide :pserver: anonymous CVS authentication to
anoncvs.freebsd.org?

Disclaimer: If I have made some hopeless mistake in my analysis of this please
forgive me.  I don't claim some network guru status; I'm just trying to figure
this out.

Thanks

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.