Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 21:40:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jemstone@triplet.net (James E. Marker)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of Swap Space?

James E. Marker said:
> I keep getting this and INND gets killed.  How do I increase swap
> space?  How do I check to see how much was allocated?  I believe I
> gave it 100 megs?

"pstat -s" tells you the swap space currently allocated.

You need as much swap space as the size of all processes.  If the system
runs out of swap, then (unfortunately) you need more swap space.  You will
need to partition your disks to add more space, or maybe another drive.
I am usually very generous with swap space when I install a system.  You
won't likely need the amount of swap space that I have, and don't be
surprised with the amount of space that I have allocated:

Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0s2b     307200        0   307072     0%    Interleaved
/dev/wd1s1b     201600        0   201472     0%    Interleaved
/dev/wd2b       204800        0   204672     0%    Interleaved
/dev/wd3b       204800        0   204672     0%    Interleaved
/dev/wd4b       500000        0   499872     0%    Interleaved
/dev/wd6b       722925        0   722797     0%    Interleaved
Total          2140557        0  2140557     0%

When my system pages, I barely notice it, due to the amount of
interleaving and speed of disks.  I just rebooted, so I haven't
used any swap space yet and haven't loaded my system much (this
is the system that I develop kernel code on.)

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org