Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 21:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Bradey <sbradey@netroute.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS on ATAPI ZIP

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Steve Bradey wrote:

> Thanks Doug for the prompt reply.  I managed to get the ATAPI zip disk UFS
> formatted after your note convinced me to give it another try using the
> tutorial that you created.  The actual steps I ended up using were as
> follows...

:)

I'd be happy to explain these:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwfd0 count=2

Erases any existing disklabel and partition table.

> disklabel /dev/rwfd0 | disklabel -R -r wfd0 /dev/stdin

`labels' the disk with the partition layout using the system defaults.
The first disklabel reads the system default one from the kernel, the
second disklabel actually puts it on the disk.  This is a sneaky trick; I
should hide the canoncial way of doing it (specifying the disktype) in the
tutorial.

> newfs /dev/rwfd0c

Creates the filesystem on the disk (like DOS FORMAT).

After all this you should be able to do

mount /dev/wfd0c /mnt

and your disk will appear under /mnt (empty of course).

NOTICE:  gdi.uoregon.edu is going down, please use dwhite@resnet!