Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 20:40:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ppp

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Paul Richards wrote:

> Killing ppp also has the side-effect of killing the X server. This makes
> it a real pain to use.

OUCH!
watch out for the "delete ALL" in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.  it works for me using
the following:

Aspen:[7] tail /etc/rc.local
#
/usr/sbin/ppp -auto atinc
/sbin/ping -c 10 198.138.38.21

# X11 server
if [ -x /usr/X11/bin/xdm ]; then
        echo -n ' xdm';         (sleep 5 ; /usr/X11/bin/xdm) &
fi

the ping gets ppp to dial and set up the routes BEFORE xdm gets started,
else my /etc/ppp/ppp.{conf,linkup} took X down when it reconfiged the routes

Aspen:[8] cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
#
# BEWARE: a blank line is a separator!
#         it ENDS a configuration
#         and begins an unlabeled configuration
#
#
# settings listed as default are always used.
# they may be overridden by settings for a particular site
#
default:
	set debug phase lcp chat lqm
#	set debug phase
	set device /dev/cua01
	set speed 57600
	set timeout 18000
	disable lqr
	deny lqr
	set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
#
# assume that we will be talking to rimmer
# setup the interface and route to match
# correct later in ppp.linkup as needed
# accept any address assigned to us
#
atinc:
        set phone 0001112222
        set login "TIMEOUT 10 mmer>-\\r-mmer>-\\r-mmer> set\\sppp"
#	set ifaddr 0 198.138.38.21/24
#	add 0 0 198.138.38.21
	set ifaddr 198.138.38.205 198.138.38.21
	add 0 255.255.255.0 198.138.38.21

Aspen:[9] cat /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
#  1) At first, IP address assigned into our side is serched and execute
#     associated command.
#
#  2) If it didn't found, then label name specified at startup time is
#     searched.
#
#  3) If given label name is not found, then label MYADDR is serched.

#
# if connecting to A&T delete existing routing entries
#	add peer as default gateway
#
atinc:
#	delete _ALL		NEVER use delete ALL with X or xdm running
#				server will disconnect from keyboard
#
#   DID NOT MATTER still locked up after ppp link was established!
#
	add 0 0 HISADDR

MYADDR:
	add 0 0 HISADDR

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG