Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:15:42 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        steve@visint.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

> I was under the impression that there are some fairly important changes in
> BIND 8.1.1, and especially after all the recent stuff with alternic and
> nominet I guess there's people upgrading the default bind by hand now,
> which is probably a pain!
>
> Couldn't 8.1.1 be made a package/port in the meantime, it would make life
> a bit easier for all the isp folks who run FreeBSD.

I don't see what the big deal is about BIND 8.1.1. If anybody wants to
make it a port, by all means - but as of right now, all you need to do
is "make clean; make depend; make". It compiles out of the box on 2.2
and newer. You only really need named (and named-xfer), the client-side
functionality is basically the same in 4.9.6 and 8.1.1.

> I reckon it'd be a fairly heavily used port if someone did it. Along with
> sendmail BIND is also a fairly important consideration when deciding what
> platform I'm going to be running assuming I'm a new isp.

As far as I know there are no *security* reasons to switch to 8.1.1 -
the security fixes that are in 8.1.1 are also in 4.9.6. If you switch
to 8.1.1 you're most likely doing it in order to use some of the new
functionality in 8.1.1 - but the people who need the new features are
going to have to tweak the named.conf file anyway.

> How many (any?) new users will chose Linux/BSDi/Solaris or whatever else
> is now running 8.1.1 by default ?

I know of *no* systems being delivered with bind 8.1.1 today - there are
no systems running 8.1.1 "by default". On the other hand, I run 8.1.1 on
several FreeBSD systems (and I also did the initial port, in the ISC
sense, of BIND 8 to FreeBSD). 8.1.1 runs very well on FreeBSD - but I
don't really see why people are so eager to make it the default yet.