Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:33:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3 CD (Sep 30) won't boot

On 18 Nov 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > then hangs. The machine can be rebooted with CTRL-ALT-DEL. Win98 and
> > Redhat 6.1 boot just fine from CD on the same machine. Surely, FreeBSD
> > should do the same?
> > Cheers.
>
> It should, it doesn't, it's a bug, it's in the release errata,

Yeah, I've seen the errata. That's why I'm using the later version of the
3.3 CD. However, that too does not work. The errata states that the
original 3.3 CD fails to boot on ATAPI CDROMS, but works on SCSI. I am
using the later version of the CD and SCSI, but it still does not work.
The errata is wrong.

> workarounds include booting from floppies or starting the boot from
> the second CD.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)