Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nobody versus FreeBSD

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:

> > Here is my /var/log/maillog complaint:
> >
> > Aug  9 16:43:25 postman sendmail[309]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(nobody): queuename:
> > Cannot create "qfQAA00309" in "/var/spool/mqueue" (euid=65534): Permission
> > denied
>
> This looks like whatever program that's calling sendmail is using the
> wrong command-line args.  Most likely, it's trying to run "sendmail -s
> mysubject user@host.com".  This is a /usr/bin/mail commandline, not a
> sendmail line.  Sendmail expects the subject to be passed into stdin as
> a header, like "Subject: mysubject".

Right!  I had a pipe happening: open MAIL " | /usr/bin/mail <args>"
Yet, somehow or other sendmail was summoned rather than my old buddy
mail.

I must say, getting the subject line in the header was some feat.
Even the docs (Allman's book) were incorrect.  I had to use a blank
line with one whitespace followed by a blank line (no whitespace or
tabs) to delimit the header from the body.

No offense to sendmail but the old Berkeley mail program works alot
better when called from Perl...dunno how I can force FBSD to use it
tho.  It exists on my FBSD box but sendmail has precedence apparently.

Anyhoo - thanks much Dan!

Cheers,
Tom

> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@emsphone.com

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056