Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:36:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

> >> I too have around 6-7 of these controllers, some work - some don't
> >> work... I was talking to a guy a while ago with a view of
> >> publishing our findings...  Basically 'some cards don't work with
> >> some boards', I beleive theres timing problems (or similar) with
> >> some cards, and some motherboards...

[snip]

> As I said before, I think you are looking in the wrong place.  You
> will probably fail.

   Yes. WE all know that. Evidently you are not one of the MANY that have
experienced this PROBLEM first hand. You have made it perfectly clear that
it is not FreeBSD! I beg to differ. Why does NetBSD boot it up ? eh ?

   I should send you one of my PC's, controller card(s), and 2.2.6, 2.2.5, 2.2.2,
2.1.6, 2.1.5 and let you "play" with it for a year and see if you got it
running yet.

   I can take the exact same controller, ribbon, hard disk, all as one unit,
put it all into a newer PC, and it all boots up. No problemo.

   Light'n up. You come across defensive, as if you wrote the driver for it. Whether
you did or didn't, I'm just stating the facts I and others have encountered for the
last 2 years. I'm just reporting my _findings_. Geez. It really doesn't surprise
me when one considers ALL the hardware combonations that are out there in the
marketplace, particularly over the last 5 years, that thier isn't more hardware
blues encountered.