Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:21:28 -0400
From:      "Andy Harrison" <aharrison@gmail.com>
To:        "soralx@cydem.org" <soralx@cydem.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi: 'no carrier'

On 10/13/06, soralx@cydem.org <soralx@cydem.org> wrote:

> had anyone ever encounterd a problem with Intel 2200BG wireless card,
> when the iwi driver seems to work normaly, but in reality it never
> associates with an access point (i.e., 'no carrier' no matter what)?
> the driver and firmware were all installed from ports, on 6.2-BETA2

Here's how I got mine working.  I have my wap configured to use tkip.  You
probably won't need all of these options if you're using a simpler
configuration.

First, make sure your internal nic is not enabled.

Here are the lines from my rc.conf
hostname="example"
bfe_enable="NO"
iwi_enable="YES"
ifconfig_iwi0="ssid MySSIDstring authmode wpa inet 192.168.66.66 netmask
255.255.255.0"
wlan_acl_enable="YES"
wlan_wep_enable="YES"
wlan_ccmp="YES"
wlan_tkip="YES"

192.168.66.66 is a bogus ip, it just doesn't seem to want to work right if
you try to turn on dhcp at this point.

Here are the lines from my loader.conf
if_iwi_load="YES"
wlan_acl_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"

When the machine boots, it will show my iwi0 interface status as
"associated" by the time I log in a look at it with ifconfig.  Then I just
run:

# wpa_supplicant -B -q -i iwi0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

My wpa_supplicant.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1

network={
        ssid="MySSIDstring"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        psk="my passphrase string"
}

Then I'm ready for a real ip:

# dhclient iwi0

If you have trouble associating with your wap, run the wpa_supplicant in
debug mode:

# wpa_supplicant -d -i iwi0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

The wpa_cli command might also be useful for further troubleshooting.

--
Andy Harrison