Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:03:34 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: denied packet, where?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To: "Mark" <admin@asarian-host.net>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 2:28 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

> > How quaint! Today, one of the (standard) daily security scripts
> > returned this:
> >
> >     test-server denied packets:
> >     test-server kernel log messages:
> >     >  1 READY ad6: 39205MB <Maxtor 2F040J1> [79656/16/63] at
> >         ata3-master UDMA133

> Yes.  But you're not denying any packets. The lack of any lines of data
> between "test-server denied packets:" and "test-server kernel log
> messages" indicates that no packets were denied.

Doh on me! :) You are right, of course; in my panic I kinda read it all as
one line.

> > I am kinda worried about this, because maybe my kernel is trying to
> > tell me one of the disks in my RAID 1 failed, and came back on line.
> > If so, I would like to know about this.
>
> The only thing it's telling you is that drive ad6: came back online
> (probably due to a soft error or timeout of some sort.)

I don't think I like the sound of that. :( I cannot say that FreeBSD went
beserk or anything, for had it not been for me having read that message, I
would have never noticed it. Still, I hate errors. :) And I hope it does not
affect the mirror.

> This message should also be found in /var/log/messages.

Well, that's the weird part: the message cannot be found in
/var/log/messages (that is why I read the above as a denied packet).

- Mark