Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:02:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      MegaFred <mfred@zen.triax.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>
Subject:   Re: ISP Conversion

> I've seen many people using sendpage... Haven't tried it myself, but
> certainly will.

Anyone know if it has TAP support?

> (1) User request a given article from your news server
> (2) news server reads the file from the NFS server
> (3) news server replies to the client

Well, I definately wouldn't save the new traffic on a centralized NFS
server, just maybe the web pages, the user home directories, etc.  Is this
still a flawed idea?

> You also have all your eggs on a single basket; if one of your 4Gig
> disks die, all of your services will go down though they might have
> survived (you still have perfectly good servers).

What about data mirroring?  I'm not sure of all the raid levels, what they
mean and what they do, nor even what the terminology is, but what about
12 hot-swappable 4-gig drives, 6 of which are live, the other 6 mirroring
the previous ones?  That way, if one of the drives goes bad, the OS
instantly starts using the 'replicated' drive, allowing you time to pull
the bad one out, replace it, and put a new one in for a live drive.  Is
there a term for this?  Is this common practice?  Is it feasable,
cost-effective, or am I better off just going distributed?  My hopes in
this was to avoid re-partitioning drive when the need for more space
arrives.

> It *might* be reliable enough. Computers are too complex for this.
> For instance, you only need your HD for booting the OS. After this,
> the HD becomes a critical point. If it fails, your router goes down.

True, but for all intents and purposes, would it work smoothly to route IP
over frame-relay, serving nothing more then a terminal server of 16-32
ports?  How about using it for nothing more then a gateway for a lan?  All
i need it for is network throughput... Reason I'm even considering this is
we have so many 486 motherboards, CPU's, cases, et. al, that if all I
needed were CSU cards to have an instant router, we'd probably save ALOT
of money in the long run making our own.

> If you're under a cost constraint, try to get a few used Cisco 2501.
> They're *much* more reliable than servers for this job (in my opinion

I was looking into these, and could not find anything other then there
"enterprise" solutions (the 32k-50k high-end routers).  Anyone know of a
URL to get a catalogue of cisco's line of routers?

TIA

Joe