Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:01:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      freebsd-security@rikrose.net
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Best security topology for FreeBSD

For something that large, I'd wonder why you're not using a hardware
router, but, to answer the question that was asked, I'd use *both*
IPFilter and IPFW.

I would use ipfilter for filtering and NAT (if needed), since it is
actually better at doing that, and ipfw for bandwidth limiting/traffic
shaping. As to which one sees the packet first, packets would come in on
an interface, go through the ipfw rules, then the ipfilter rules, then out
again (possibly through the rules again, assuming you don't do anything
like use fastroute rules on either).

Basically, ipfw doesn't give as much control over the packets and
filtering as ipfilter, so use both.

Useful url: http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf
there's probably a good one for ipfw too, but i use ipfilter, and haven't
had the need for traffic shaping yet...

--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F