Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:59:03 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        beyssac@enst.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should jail treat ip-number?

In message <19991117153126C.shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, Yoshinobu Inoue writes:

>-Only think about inet and inet6. Forget about other protocol
> family and sockaddr.
> (Just as current jail only think about inet.)

This has basically been the policy until now: Don't worry about a protocol
until somebody needs it.

>-Just add an in6_addr structure(IPv6 address) member
> "ip6_number" into the jail structure.
>
>-Jail(2) specify "ip_number" and/or "ip6_number" into the kernel.

Well, I guess we want it to be "and", right ?  Will people want to
bind both a IPv4 and IPv6 address (does it make sense to do so ?)
or will people only need to bind one of them ?

>-Kernel treat "ip6_number" as just a same kind of extension
> for IPv6 as "ip_number" for IPv4.

I'm not against them being sockaddr's.

>-Jail(8) command can also accept DNS name, and then it resolve
> the name internally and,
>   if A record is obtained, specify its address into "ip_number".
>   if AAAA record is obtained, also specify its address into "ip6_number".

Sure, this is trivial to do.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!