Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:11:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <chris#@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        faber@isi.edu
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

On Mon, February 14, 2011 10:21 am, Ted Faber wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52:43PM -0800, Chris H wrote:
>
>> I noticed a potential issue in the output of your attached Xorg.conf.
>>

> Can you tell me what looked fishy?  I'm happy to poke it it.
>

>> Bottom line (for me anyway) has been that if I disable hald(8), I have nearly
>>  no (video related) issues. This is both on x86 && amd64 systems.
>
> When I turn off hald, X xan no longer find the mouse and keyboard.  I
> can probably hard wire them down, but I get the impression that lots of other
> gnome-ish things will get confused w/o hald.
dbus is still available, and should help here (still enabled).

I'm /not/ on a GENERIC kernel, but here are some relevant pieces from
my setup that might help;
rc.conf(5)
hald_enable="NO"
dbus_enable="YES"

xorg.conf(5)
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"
	Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"true"
	Option	"AutoEnableDevices" "true"

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7 8"

I run Gnome && KDE(4.x) w/o any issues using this setup (no hald(8).

I don't have your dmesg(8) output in front of me, at the momment. So I can't
comment on what I felt might be "suspect".

I might also note, that for awhile there, there were issues on laptops
w/FreeBSD. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was related to (ACPI?).
Essentially, it's related to the suspend/resume support in the FreeBSD kernel.
Perhaps some additional "tweaks" might be found in the laptop section(s)
in the FreeBSD docs, or list(s).

HTH

--Chris

OH, one other thing that comes to mind;
Did you let Xorg(1) create your xorg.conf(8) file? and if so (you /should/ have),
what was the output? Again, if so, is that the conf file you're using now?