Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:02:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chip McClure" <vhm3@gigguardian.com>
To:        <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Ethernet NIC w/ failover

John Straiton said:

Hello John,

Although I didn't do this for any gigabit nic's, it should work the same,
no less.

I worte up a small shell script, that pings the gateway device. If the
ping fails, the shell script de-configures the primary interface of that
card, and configures the secondary interface, assuming the identity of the
1st interface. she shell script also write a value to a text file, as to
which is the active interface, so it knows to revert back, if the
secondary were to fail. This script was added into the cron job, to run
every minute.

Chip