Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:17:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to!

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Frank Griffith wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE up and running. I installed it via FTP
> so I know the modem works. Its on COM2, IRQ3.I have installed three
> (3) different ethernet network cards. Not all at once mind you. I only want
> one NIC in the computer. Each one is set to IRQ=10, I/O=300.
> Funny thing is the modem and the ethernet card will not work together.
> I can only have one or the other installed. I tried settin different address
> and interrupt on the NIC but nothing works yet. So, how do I look back
> at the HW settings in the kernel once I'm logged in?

`dmesg'

> I want to compile a port from the Internet. But when I follow the
> instructions at http://www.freebsd.org//handbook/handbook28.html
> I get an error. I assume its because I haven't made a connection
> with the ISP first. So I taught myself how to start ppp, then term
> and connect to my ISP and login. Then what? How do I start the
> FTP program?

In a very small nutshell:

1.  Connect to ISP.
2.  Fetch port directory.  (copy from CD or FTP using `get port.tar')
3.  Extract port.  (tar xf port.tar, if you ftp'd it)
4.  cd port
5.  make

The port will fetch the program's main source file automatically.  If ou
want to avoid this and are using ports from the CD, link
/cdrom/ports/distfiles to /usr/ports/distfiles.  (`ln -s
/cdrom/ports/distfiles /usr/ports/distfiles', make sure
/usr/ports/distfiles doesn't exist)

> I have now downloaded from your site what I think is all the neccessary
> files to do an install over my network, which is a Novell 4.1 server with
> Windows 95 workstations. So, once I boot the computer I plan to install
> FreeBSD on with a floppy, how do I get it to see my network so it can get
> the files it needs from the NetWare server or the Windows 95 machine?

FreeBSD doesn't support NetWare by default.  You'd have to set up a FTP or
NFS server to fetch from.  Or install purely by floppy (yuck :( )

> You guys have been great with support and I really appreciate it.

No problem.

> But
> could you explain in a little more detail about each step involved. I
> am still not at a level where I understand all the nomenclature and
> buzzwords used with UNIX OS. Thanks again.

OK.  It's easier to answer questions if you post them separately though;
I'm tempted to gloss over points to keep the message length short.