Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:52:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        julian@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph into -stable. (fwd)

I admit that it doesn't seem  a minor addition, but
I'd like to get netgraph down into 3.x now that it has been shaken down a
bit in 4.x and to give it some time to settle before 3.4.

reasons:
1/ DSL in Canada is now switching rapidly to PPPoE.
 1A/ *Newsflash*  mindspring has just gone PPPoE-only.
 1B/ UUnet is switching to PPPoE.
2/ PPP will start using it soon (other than with pppoe)
and we'd like ONE version not 2 for Brian to maintain.
3/ ISPs who may want to use the PPPOE server side are generally running
  3.x, not 4.x

Supporting facts:
Netgraph is written to generally be non intrusive.
No code is changed in the non "options NETGRAPH" case and only minor
changes are made in normal code paths in the NETGRAPH case.
(with the exception of the if_sr and if_ar drivers).

And last but not least:
We are actually developing Netgraph under 3.3 so we are already keeping
two source trees in sync, 3.3. and 4.0 so we might as well let others get
at it.

Anyone violently object?

Nothing that you are already using should be effected, only netgraph users
(and that's exactly 2 of you) :-)

Julian
(please make sure I'm at least in the cc line as I'm not on -stable as a
rule)