Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:06:43 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        <mobile@freebsd.org>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Oh know: 'win'wi-fi

> http://news.com.com/2100-1033-882156.html
>
> This talks about how microsoft is trying to move into software some of
> the stuff that's now done in WiFi hardware.
>
> Fear.  I hope that 'winwlan' doesn't catch on like winmodems have.

Probably will as JEDEC is getting involved. JEDEC is an electronics industry
standards organisation that writes specs. for physical pin connections etc.
e.g. DRAM pin outs. Anyway, a new JEDEC group has been formed to develop a
standard interface between 802.11 RF/analogue front-ends and the digital
back end processors. It is envisaged that PC chip sets will have the back
end processors - this means that in time it will be in software. An example
application would be a laptop where the antennas and RF front end are in the
lid, and the digital stuff is on the motherboard.