Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:54:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Frank Nobis <fn@Radio-do.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to detect obsolete files after a make world?

On 20-Apr-98 Frank Nobis wrote about "Re: How to detect obsolete files after a
make world?":
>> What about a very dangerous use of "find / -type f \! -mtime 1 -delete", or
>> similar? ;-)
>
> This would for sure clear your /usr/local tree :-)

Not talking about your /etc, /usr/X11R6, /home and /var =:-/

I know this, but what about using find on selected directories? I.e.: replace
"/" on the command I posted with /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lib and so on.

> Btw. there are shared libs under /usr/lib that are there from previous
> builds or from binaries linked against older shared libs, so they are
> neccessary.

True, but you can safely nuke them and then recompile your binaries (ports?) as
soon as they complain about a missing library. You may still have problems with
binary distributions (commercial software and so on), maybe you need to install
lib compat.

> One could traverse the filesystem, take all the executables, do
> something like `find / -print |xargs ldd| sort -u` to get all the
> libraries in use and remove all others.

Yikes! :-) See Ben's post about /usr/src/tools/LibraryReport/LibraryReport.tcl

Please remember that I have to remove also old binaries (e.g. sgmlfmt, newlfs
etc.)

>       Frank

Bye, UP