Date:      Sat, 14 May 2005 12:39:55 +0100
From:      "Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge@nedprod.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Benchmarking 5.4

As promised, here is the writeup of the benchmarking of my code on
various systems:

http://www.nedprod.com/Tn/

The code is heavily multithreaded, with some eleven to fourteen
threads running most of these experiencing some load. It represents a
good test of the scheduler and thread performance. It uses its own
mutex implementation as to be honest, my own is far faster than any
other I've found. This could change if FreeBSD made full use of the
M:N scope for optimisation. The code uses a mixture of process scope
and system scope threads but mostly process scope as that's the
default on FreeBSD builds on my library. The kernel was a GENERIC
amd64 build but only with SCHED_ULE changed (so no witness, invariant
etc.).

The good news is that performance now matches Linux for the first
time having previously been a fraction. The bad news is that Windows
is still whooping both Linux and FreeBSD.

There is a curious thing on FreeBSD - during the memory mapped i/o
test, the percent complete goes from 0%-60% very quickly indeed but
then hangs at 60% for what seems like ages before completing at a
slower rate than before. What's happening internally is that a 4.47Mb
file is being mapped in in 1Mb segments and memcpy()'ed elsewhere. I
initially thought it might be the 4BSD scheduler so I tried ULE but
it made no difference (to the benchmarks or anything). The test file
was on UFS with soft updates.

Even in the packet based transfers, the percent complete noticeably
goes faster from 0%-60% and then halts momentarily before continuing
at a slower pace though it's nothing like as bad as memory mapped. Of
course internally the file is still being accessed as memory mapped
ie; the server still maps the file, just it reads and packetises it
for the client. If I watch the disk drive light, it does flicker
briefly at the end of the test but otherwise remained unlit - surely
under UFS the file would still be in the cache?

If that memory mapped i/o thing were sorted out, I'm quite sure that
FreeBSD would at least reach half the Windows speeds. Any ideas? Is
there some kernel sysctl for setting read ahead buffering or
something? 60% of 4.47Mb is around 2.6Mb.

Cheers,
Niall