Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:26:30 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        Patrick McAndrew <pfm@slack.net>, jtb <jtb@pubnix.org>, Wojciech Sobczuk <sopel@hood.1lo.lublin.pl>, fpscha@schapachnik.com.ar, ncb05@uow.edu.au, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-executable stack?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Niall Smart wrote:

> You misunderstand.  My proposal, seemingly seconded by jtb, was to
> allow the administrator to disallow the presence of non-printable ascii
> characters in the environment or command line arguments at the time of
> execve of certain processes.  We still don't know if this will have any
> effect on security though, since no-one has checked to see if its possible
> to write shellcode using just printable ASCII.  It would certainly
> make life difficult for the attacker, since it would be impossible to
> overwrite the saved eip with an address on the stack since the stack
> is at the top of the address space around 0xFFxxxxxx or 0xEFxxxxxx.
>
> Niall

I know next to nothing about assembly level programming, but if you mean
that there is a problem because 0xFF and 0xEF are out of bounds, then I
figure this means very little if the attacker has access to a small range
of arithmetic or bitwise operators to generate these characters.  With a
little more effort, byte values could perhaps be borrowed from elsewhere,
copying them from addressable locations.

Andrew McNaughton